Breastfeeding. It’s one of the things about having a baby that can have some unexpected challenges. The process is a joy and a wonderful bonding experience for mom and baby but separates them for too long, and you’ve got leakage! Breasts can leak for a whole host of reasons, such as staying too long between feeds, your milk coming in suddenly, or simply having an oversupply. When you make the decision to breastfeed your baby, you’re also making the decision to make use of breast pads for an indeterminate amount of time because you never know when you’ll experience leaking.
Like most products for mom and baby, there are many options on the market from which to choose from. This means, as someone looking for breast pads, you have a lot of things to weigh. Aside from your comfort, you probably also need to decide between the disposable and reusable one, and this can lead to even more complications! In this list, you will the best disposable and reusable breastfeeding pads to help you make the decision for this very necessary item.
1. M&Y Organic Nursing Pads
For the environmentally conscious mom, finding an organic breastfeeding pad that is comfortable and doesn’t run the risk of spillage can be quite the challenge. This is where the M&Y nursing pads come in. A pack comes with 14 reusable nursing pads and a laundry bag so that you can keep them safely together when they’re in the wash. The pads promise to match the contours of your breasts working with rather than against you, which is an added plus if you’ve had challenges with other pads shifting about in your shirt. The neutral toned pads also come in two sizes, and their bamboo surface ensures that you don’t leak. How can they be so sure? Well, the outer surface of the pad is water proof, so this offers additional security for you. Being organic, you can rest assured that your baby will be perfectly safe to feed as there will be no presence irritants.
- It’s hypoallergenic, so it’s ideal for users who irritate easily from other products
- They are soft which works well for breasts that may still be tender from the early stages of breastfeeding
- You save money as they are reusable and washable
- The laundry bag can open while in the wash, meaning your pads no longer remain secure while in the machine.
2. Lansinoh Stay Dry Disposable Nursing Pads
Perhaps the option of reusable breastfeeding pads is not something that works for you. If this is the case, there are great disposable pad options, and Lanisoh Stay Dry pads are pretty good. These pads are held in place with adhesive strips on the back of each pad so you can place them on your bra for maximum security. The adhesive strips stop the pads from moving around unnecessarily. The design of the Lanisoh pads is such that they are discrete so you that you don’t have to worry about everyone seeing that you have breastfeeding pads in. They’re also great for stopping leakage and prove to be super absorbent.
- The adhesive strips on the back of each pad keep them securely in place
- The pads are great at stopping leakage as long as they are changed as needed
- They are big and can cover even larger surface areas
- They are not hypoallergenic so they may not be compatible for everyone
3. Bundlebliss Nursing Breast Pads
Bundlebliss pride themselves in having created the thinnest breastfeeding pad on the market. This nursing pad measures in at 1mm and can absorb 120 ml of milk, per pad. The beautiful thing about this pad is that it manages to remain dry even as it absorbs the leaking milk. The reason this pad is so effective at doing this is the honeycomb quilt in the pad that is super absorbent but leaves your skin dry. This pad is also a great pick if you’re looking for something that is discrete and is able to match the unique shape of your breasts. The Bundlebliss pads will also stay put because they have adhesive strips on the back of them, making sure you can secure the thin pad safely. The pad is also disposable making it ideal for when you’re on the go and don’t want to worry about how or where to store your used breastfeeding pad.
- It is a thin pad, so it offers an additional layer of discretion
- Users have said that it does a great job of staying in place and keep their shape in the bra
- They are soft and comfortable
- For some, the adhesive on the back may prove too sticky and requires some effort to detach it from the bra
4. Bamboobies Nursing Pads
Sometimes, it is only until you go through the motions of having a new baby that you realize you may experience some new issues. Breastfeeding is one of those things that takes a while to get the hang of, and often by the time you do, you have developed some sensitivity. This is where Bamboobies sensitive disposable pads come in to save the day. Made from bamboo – which is super absorbent – these pads are soft, and they can serve even the most sensitive of skins. They also do what a good breastfeeding pad should, which is to stop leakage and save you the embarrassment of those moments when you’re full. As an additional plus, these pads are completely fragrance free, so they are perfect for sensitive users or for you if you simply don’t like the idea of a scented pad.
- They are soft and absorbent as they are made from bamboo along with a special wood pulp to ensure you experience no leaks
- They are able to hold a lot of liquid meaning you can push them further than most pads
- They are thin hence discrete
- They do not come individually wrapped which may be a deal breaker if you want to have some on you in your bag
5. Johnson’s Nursing Pads
A brand name in baby and mom products, it was unlikely that Johnson’s would be missing from this list. However, it’s not simply the fact that they are a brand name that lands them here. These cotton pads offer absorption and comfort that any mom is after. The pads are disposable, making them an excellent choice for the mom on the move. For sensitive users, Johnson’s promises a fragrance free breastfeeding pad that will do the one assigned job of catching your leaking milk while keeping you dry. If you’re worried about a good fit, these breastfeeding pads will also follow your body’s contour for additional peace of mind and comfort.
- They are great for people with sensitive skin and will unlikely irritate your skin
- The unique shape of the pad accommodates the nipple area for an even better fit
- The adhesive strips keep the breastfeeding pad in place
- They are not individually wrapped
- Amiami Disposable Nursing Pads
The Amiami breastfeeding pad wants to offer moms 3 big things – absorption, comfort and no chances of leakage. Each of these individually wrapped nursing pads is made of a breathable material that will absorb the leaking milk and still manage to keep your skin dry. These pads are also quite thin, which means they will give you desired discretion but without compromising your protection. With the Amiami pad, also protects you as the soft material doesn’t irritate your already sensitive breasts, and they are free of most irritation causing agents such as BPA or latex. These pads are also disposable, so you don’t have to worry about what to do with them once you’re done – you just simply toss them safely, and you’re good to go. To help it stay in place, this nursing pad has adhesive strips that will help the pad remain in place.
- Each pad is individually wrapped making it ideal for busy moms who are on the go
- The pad is thin which offers discretion but is also good at absorption
- These pads are BPA, and latex free making them ideal for users with sensitive skin
- The pad may not be ideal if you’re looking for something with thicker padding
Ultimately, the decision on which breastfeeding pad will work best for you is one that will consider the function of it but with consideration about the comfort. It’s important to recall that no matter what breastfeeding pads you settle on, it is equally important to note how the products are best used. Some of these notes could be on the frequency of changing the pad to even how to correctly place it on your bra for optimal results. Breast pads, unlike most of the products you will seek out during this phase of mommyhoodseparates, are a very intimate choice. They serve a very specific purpose, but this can only be ideally achieved if you feel comfortable with the pad you’ve settled on. Hopefully, this list will aid you in making an informed decision when you finally purchase the brand that you feel most closely suits your needs.